Originally Posted By: Dignan
Remember, there are non-Apple devices that sync with iTunes, but they require 3rd party software. I don't see why all of a sudden it's so terrible that Palm wants to sync with iTunes directly. I see it as making things easier on their own customers.

Yep, and there are 3rd party MP3 players and phones that sync directly with iTunes because the companies that made them worked out agreements with Apple. Some of those are OS X only due to the companies making the agreements prior to the Windows iTunes release, and some work with iTunes on both systems. Just as there are many MP3 players that work with Windows Media Player due to agreements with Microsoft. Same situation.

Much like Andy, I am curious if Palm ever talked to Apple about it. Being that Palm isn't saying that they were blown off by Apple to try and help their case, I'm guessing the USB hack was their first choice for getting iTunes compatibility.

If Palm really wanted to look like the good guy here and the one fighting for standards and the consumer, they should have ignored iTunes and built the foundation for a SyncML based media sync, or something similar.