Quote:
So could you please explain in detail how them being a joke (which I'm sure is an opinion that would go over quite nicely at the Auschwitz rememberance) equates to them not being anti-Semetic? Because you know, it's possible to clean up a highway and still hate Jews. And your original statement had nothing to do with the level of respect you have for people such as this; you stated that we "we don't have as much anti-Semitism and it's certainly not tolerated" which is, sadly, simply not true. We have plenty and it is tolerated.

Fo this topic that you love to go on about, the anti-semitism reference that composed one short sentence, I was refering to violence against Jews in this country by people or groups based solely on that person being Jewish. Rob's post was trying to critize me for daring to bring up the word "Nazi" on the Auschwitz memorial. I must be some insensitive American who has no idea of what's going on outside of the borders of my self-centered country. I just wanted to say that from what I've read in the news, violence against Jews was much more common in Europe than it is here. I never claimed there was no Anti-Semitism (go re-read my post). I said there wasn't as much and I was simply referring to the level of violence. You want to "nail" me for not being more specific on that? Go ahead, but I bet even if you include non-violent behavior, my statement is still correct.

As you have so diligently pointed out, the KKK has an internet site on the world wide web. They may even have an email address and fax machine. They are however, an utter joke. They are the idiots that deserve to be ridiculed and laughed at. This once fearsome domestic terror group is now limited to adopting highways, making animated GIFs for their web site and appearing on the Jerry Springer Show.

Quote:
And your neighbor's kid's band is not under discussion here, nor debate. I understand it was an attempt to dismiss the argument, but it doesn't serve that purpose. After all, nobody ever said that we "certainly don't tolerate Brad's neighbor's kid's band", did we?

Again, all you managed to prove in your detective work is that the KKK have a web site. So does my neighbor's band's kid. They both suck and will have no impact on this world (sorry Ronnie).

Quote:
I disagree. You actually went into a fair bit of detail as to your feelings about the term. And, yes, you also pointed out that people were welcome to "toss the 'neo' in there so that the casual observer might associate it with 'neo-nazi'.." Kind of a non-sequiter if you ask me (I personally never made that association until you brought it up), but that's just my opinion.

Well then fine. You're not the casual oberver who may have thought that. What, you're an exception to something I said "might" happen with the casual obersvor and suddenly what I say is not true? And I didn't ask you if it was a non-sequiter. And watch out, don't mention your opinion either because if I disagree with you, then you're incorrect and I'll think less of you as a person for not reseaching what my opinion is.

Quote:
You also stated later, in response to Rob, that "the only two 'neo-anythings' that have popular meaning are neo-con and neo-nazi" which is a sweeping generalization, and one that has the added benefit of being incorrect. You may want to reconsider; not everyone is confused by the above terms. Pretty much everyone in my circle could explain any of them. If you're right, and the general populace of the US can't, then we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Oh yes, the world is doomed because my mom and hafl the people driving down the highway can't pick out neoimpressionism from impressionism. The sky is falling because Ronnie and his band have no idea what neophyte refers too. Man, we're screwed.

Quote:
And by the way, neophyte does not just refer to religous pursuits. It can apply to pretty much anything. Including politics, as in "Though he was a neophyte, the new congressman showed promise". You can even use it in regards to cogent argumentation.

Oh wait, you mean even I who looked that term up only knew of one of its definitions!!! Ah man, I'd better get that bomb shelter and duct tape ready!

Quote:
Might not be a bad idea. Is there something wrong, in your opinion, with having more than one source of information? Or is that just a myth perpetrated by the liberal media?

Well, only about 7% of Canadian citizens seem to think that the CBC is worth watching and 20% of those are hockey fans that only watch it to see games. I guess they're fucked too. And considering how you are going over my posts with a finetoothed comb trying to twist how I probably meant "much as" in reference to a sidebar comment, I'm surprised you missed that I get a lot of my news from AP and Reuters. I don't even mind the Washington Post or NYT if I skip the editorials. These aren't of course the only places, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I'm about to watch the swill from CBC or the BBC thank you very much. Maybe my sources aren't anti-Bush enough for webroach? Is that it? The Page 3 section of the UK Sun is pretty nice sometimes as well.

Quote:
It strikes me as odd that you seem to be making fun of any kind of intellectual pursuit. And yeah, you're missing out on them. Give the Discovery networks a shot once in the while. I know they don't bash on "liberals", but still, they're ok if your're up for learning about more than how to argue about who's right or wrong....

Do you realize how condisending you're being here? I wasn't making fun of documentaries, I was making fun of you (sorry, but you're pretty much the only one here being overtly rude to me and I don't appreciate it) for thinking that "neophyte" was such a stable in the American culture. I don't believe I'm even wasting my time explaining this, but with the exception of a few Aqua Teen episodes, my Tivo is full of recording on the History Channel, PBS (rarely but the History Detectives rocks), Discovery Science, Discovery and TLC. I'm actually a big fan of documentaries and they're my preferred type of show to watch. But you couldn't pay me to watch one on neoimpressionism.